Friday, July 4, 2008

Sweet Madame Blue

OK, so I know what you are thinking, "holy cow, two blogs in one week. How did this happen!" And if you aren't thinking that then you haven't been on here in the last few days to see the blog that Cristina posted the other day. So please take a minute and check out what she posted previous to this post.

Today is July 4th, Independence Day, America's Birthday. I have always been a pretty proud American and with that I want to wish all of us a Happy Birthday! If you know me you know that even though there aren't gifts given or big turkey dinners, that today is my favorite holiday. What a great day to celebrate everything we have, especially our freedom. I don't claim to be a world traveler however I have had and opportunity to see a lot of this beautiful world and I feel blessed to have been born with all the rights and privileges that we have. As most of you probably know I was in the Marine Corps reserves for 8 years. In February of 2003 I was activated and deployed over seas. I was in Iraq for a few months. If I learned anything while I was there it was that they envy the freedom that we share. I understand that some of you may not agree with me on this, but unless you have been there, you can't understand the positive effect we are having there, we are helping and they know we are helping. Enough of my soap box.
Us as Americans owe it to our fore fathers and those serving and protecting us right now for what they did/do everyday. By doing that we are saluting our flag and recognizing what those stars and stripes represent. With that all there is left to say is Happy Birthday and God bless America!

2 comments:

Quela said...

I couldn't agree more. Happy belated 4th!

Unknown said...

Umm...not to spoil a good serious post, but July 2nd is actually the day that that our country declared independance. July 4th was the day that Continental Congress adopted Thomas Jefferson's Declaration of Independance. What has happened is that the document announcing the event has overshadowed the event itself.