Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Public Toilets :(

So about a week ago Ethan decided he wanted to go potty on the toilet! I was a little confused as to what he was trying to tell me since this was the first time mentioning it at all. Also, the kid is quarantined to the living room (to save my sanity) so he had to try and tell me he wanted to go into the bathroom without actually going there and using normal words. Finally I let him through the gate so he could show me what he was saying. He ran right to the toilet and pulled down his pants. He sat on the toilet and held himself up just fine. Well as unprepared mentally as I was for this big step, I decided to go with it since he was obviously wanting to do it. He has no problem going poop on the toilet, which is really weird to me since everyone says how kids are normally scared of going poop on the toilet, but will go pee just fine. So apparently Ethan didn't get that memo, cause he doesn't mind peeing in his pull ups and goes poop in the toilet great.


Now a fun adventure that comes with potty training is getting your child to go on any other toilet than the ones at home. The other night we were at Outback Steakhouse and Ethan claimed he had to go "eewwww", which is what he says when he needs to go potty. So we make the trek all the way to the other side of the restaurant in a mad dash, dodging people who don't want to move as you say "excuse me please". We get into the stall and I am squatting down next to him trying to get him to pull down his pants and suddenly I notice every dirty little spot in the entire stall. Now I have no problem going in public restrooms, but when you are trying to keep a 2 year old from touching every germ infested thing in the bathroom, you suddenly think twice about public restrooms. Needless to say he didn't go potty. I know all of you moms out there are laughing because it has only been a week since he started going on the toilet, but time is running out for me. I have decided that I am going to go to Nail School starting October 6th, so if Ethan isn't fully potty trained by then, then it will probably have to wait. So wish us luck and any suggestions are welcomed!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

i think i have a picture of adam in that same pose...

wordandcraft said...

I'd say the fact that he's excited about potty training means the battle's half won. Just put your blinders on when you're out in public; he'll wash.

I'm excited to hear about you going to nail school. Have fun!

Heather said...

The fact that Ethan goes poop in the toilet already, is amazing! You are way ahead of your game! For potty training Mattie, we set an alarm at home for every 30 minutes and I would take her to the bathroom, and have her sit on the potty and try. We had a jar of M&M's and if she sat down and tried she got like 1 M&M, and if she actually went to the bathroom, she got like 3. It worked for us! Good luck.

Quela said...

Just think of it as building up his immune system.

The Pachuilo Family said...

You are so lucky that he is going poop and pee on the potty. I wish we were there. if you have any advice for us to get Christopher going on the potty let me know, because your doing something right

cbonitab said...

K so I'm totally going to support you in nail school. Totally! I will be one of your models!
I'm excited for you!